1.24.2015

"Linger"

When I was in Anchorage over New Year's I came up with a Word For The Year.  I had seen many of my favorite bloggers give it a try, and witnessed through the year how their word grew & changed them.  I knew I wanted my word to relate to parenting, which is where I want the majority of my energy to be focused.  When the word "linger" flitted across my mind, I knew it was the one.

source
I am a recovering perfectionist & overachiever.  Completing things on my to-do list makes me feel good.  I only feel worthwhile when I am "accomplishing" something.  This is often to the detriment of my relationship with my kids.  "Not now" and "In a minute" are uttered by me more than I'd care to admit.  My hope is that with the word "linger" lingering in my mind, I will be reminded to sing one more song at bedtime or read one more book at quiet time.  I hope to remember that even though they are not on my to-do list, those boys are my most important thing.  And spending an extra five or ten minutes with them (coloring, snuggling, playing Uno) is worth it.

"Sometimes it's worth lingering on the journey 
for a while before getting to the destination."
-Adrian Ivashkov

No comments: